Am I Eligible for Funding?

Funding for equipment

New Zealand actually has some of the best equipment funding available in the world for people with disabilities – but unless you’ve had a need for it, it’s unlikely that you are aware of this. 

As an outline, you may be eligible for Ministry of Health funding for Equipment and Modification services if:

  • You have a disability that will last over six months and results in a reduction of independent function to the extent that ongoing support is required and
  • You are not an ACC claimant (for that disability).

Equipment can only be provided if an EMS Assessor has identified that equipment is essential for you to:

  • Get around more safely in your home, or
  • Remain in, or return to, your home, or
  • Communicate effectively, or,
  • Study full-time or do vocational training, or,
  • Work full-time, or,
  • Work as a volunteer,
  • Be the main carer of a dependent person.

If you’re not sure or have any questions about if you are eligible for Ministry of Health funding for equipment, we suggest you contact the funding administrator that covers the area you live in:

  • If you live in Auckland or Northland, contact Accessable call free 0508 001 002.
  • For the rest of New Zealand, contact Enable New Zealand call free 0800 171 995.

If you need equipment due to an injury caused by an accident, you may be covered by ACC. Everyone in New Zealand has 24-hour, seven-day-a-week, no-fault comprehensive injury cover through ACC. To find out what is and isn’t covered, and what happens if you injure yourself while travelling overseas or visiting New Zealand, visit the ACC website here

Along with the Ministry of Health and ACC funding, there are other funding sources such as the grant from Lotteries Individuals with Disabilities that can help fund mobility scooters, power chairs and manual wheelchairs. More information and applications forms for this can be found on the Community Matters government website here.

Alternative Funding

If you are not eligible for any of the previous funding types, there are a number of other funders who might be suitable:

Cerebral Palsy Association

Cerebral Palsy Society Grants are open to members with Cerebral Palsy, to help them fund activities or to give assistance for a special cause. The purpose of this grant is to assist people with Cerebral Palsy to obtain items of services that mitigate the effects of living with Cerebral Palsy. Grants should assist a person’s independence and / or quality of life, or in the case of a child, also that of the parents/ family. 

They also work with the Lions Clubs of New Zealand and can assist in funding for mobility equipment through the Lion’s Child Mobility Fund. View the Cerebral Palsy Association's website here.

Halberg Trust

The Halberg Trust offer Activity Fund grants that are provided to enable physically disabled young people to participate in sport and recreation by reducing financial barriers. Find out more on their website here.

Muscular Dystrophy Association

The Muscular Dystrophy Association provides discretionary grants for individuals with a neuromuscular condition to access opportunities and specialised resources that enable them to achieve freedom. Find out more on their website here.

The Wilson Home Trust

The Wilson Home Trust offer a range of grants that support a need, activity or piece of equipment that will enhance the life of a child or young person with a physical disability. Find out more on their website here.


Variety provide grants to sick, disabled and disadvantaged children to help them to reach their full potential. They fund everything from trikes to mobility equipment to technology. Find out more on their website here.

Need Help?

Please contact our Customer Care Team and we'll be happy to assist you.

  Call us 0800 31 61 81

Contact Us